Friday, January 9, 2009

What Are You Learning?

My mom started a weekly series called "What Are You Learning?" so that we can share with each other what God is teaching us, and so I decided to participate. If you'd like to share what God is teaching you, click on the link at the end of this post.


"Jesus is...asking for an internal sacrifice and yielding." (Oswald Chambers)

Complete surrender is so difficult! Lately I've been thinking about surrender and what it means, and honestly, I've had difficulty accepting the fact that God desires, well, total surrender, not just little bits and pieces of my life.

Total surrender means stepping out of my comfort zone! It means allowing Him to point me in a direction that I may not want to go! It means letting Him get all the glory and possibly not getting any for myself!

When I look at total surrender through my limited human perspective, it sounds miserable. Yet when I look at it through the lens of God's Word and realize that He's had my life planned out to the smallest, minutest detail since before the beginning of time; and when I remember that total surrender equals true joy (if not happiness), I'm filled with a sense of peace and gratefulness. God--the Creator of a universe so complex and enormous that the most brilliant scientific minds could not possibly understand it completely--that same God stoops down and carries me through this life. He works each detail of my life into His perfect plan!

Certainly, a God like that deserves my total surrender to His will! He deserves every ounce of my life!

I recently read this excerpt from "My Utmost for His Highest" (can you tell I enjoy this book??):

It is of no value to God to give Him your life for death. He wants you to be a "living sacrifice"--to let Him have all your strengths that have been saved and sanctified through Jesus (Romans 12:1). This is what is acceptable to God.


God wants all of me. He wants the gifts He has given me to be used for His glory. He wants my very existence to direct glory to Him.

I fall so pitifully short of total surrender, but God is always patient! Thank You Father!

If you want to participate in "What Are You Learning?" just visit my mom's blog and link your post to

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, he does need total surrender, and it is hard!

Unknown said...

I love it, Brianna! I am so thankful to the Lord for the work He is doing in you!!

Erin said...

Brianna, you've put it so well!
I agree that it is so hard to LIVE totally for Christ, but when you look at your life from Gods point of view it's the only way that makes sense.

Rachel said...

Hi Brianna! I left a comment on your mother's blog. What a great idea! Love your posts. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Brianna! You don't remember me, but your father was my PE professor when I was at WBC. I remember you when you were such a little GIRL!

Praise God so much for how well you have grown. It's such an encouragement to me. I have 3 daughters and I pray that each of them will grow like you have in the Lord. God bless you, Sweetheart.

Zinnada<><

Anonymous said...

Hi Brianna! :)

Your post is so totally True. We need to surrender our whole life to the Lord, but sometimes it is really hard. I feel like sometimes I just keep holding tight and don't want to let go, but I should because the Lord loves me and knows what's best for me. I should have trust in Him. :)

Thanks so much for the comment you left on my blog. I am doing really well! :)

Also, I posted pictures from the Creation Museum if you want to see them.

Thanks for the Great post! :)

Have a Wonderful day! ;)

Love,
Liz

Anonymous said...

Yay, you put up a followers thing! I have wanted to follow your blog for a long time! I LOVE your blog, and I love your like a sister.

Anonymous said...

how do you do labels. I write it write below while writing the post, and I, on the layout, checked putting on labels. What do I do.

Lauren Ann

Anonymous said...

you can answer that on one of my blogs.

Rachel said...

Hi Brianna! You have two blog awards waiting for you at my blog. :) God bless!

Anonymous said...

Brianna,

On my blog 'As one of Seven' I added another column. Tell me how you like it (if you do).

Anonymous said...

can you help me. I don't understand how to get the html (I am making a blog button) on the blog, and how to get that box. I have the html, and the button, but don't know how to put it on my blog. i need very clear instructions.

Please comment on one of my blogs, and explain as soon as you get a chance.

Emily Joy said...

Hi! I saw your blog through Maddie's (Sweet tea and me) and I thought I'd stop by! I LOVE your blog! Stop by and see mine!

~Emily

Anonymous said...

Hi Brianna! :)

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi! :)

May you have a Wonderful and Blessed day! :)

Love,
Liz :)

Sara said...

Hey Brianna! Hope you're doing well-I miss your updates on here. =)

Anonymous said...

Yes! I finally found your blog. I think I've been typing in the wrong address, but I found the link at the bottom of Gabriele's page.

I love your template. It has changed since I was last here. It is sooo pretty and very you! The pictures at the top are very nice. I like the black and white touch:-)

I can't wait to see you tomorrow. We're going to have so much fun!

Thank you for sharing that post. It is so applicable, I'm sure to all our lives!

In Christ,
Hannah

Natalie said...

That was such a beautiful post. Thank you for that, it really helps!

Anna said...

Wow I just stumbled onto your blog and I absolutely love it! Thank you for this post. I completely agree with you.

God bless you!

Anonymous said...

hi Brianna - i don't have a blog but i am blessed by many. the picture you have on your blog, the girl kneeling is prayer is great. Can you tell me where you found it. I would like to use it but want to make certain i don't do anything without permission, if needed.

thanks very much -
Sabrina